The Disability History Association (DHA) seeks a volunteer, part-time communications intern. The intern will assist with updating and making our organization’s website fully accessible as well as creating and monitoring a social media presence. All qualified individuals are welcome to apply, including undergraduate students. Familiarity with disability communities and disability history is a plus. This volunteer internship offers an excellent opportunity to develop web-based communication skills, to learn more about disability history as a field of study, and to connect with our broad community. Mentorship in pursuing disability history work is also available. This internship has flexible hours and scope of work. For example, an intern could work on projects for 2-4 hours a week, or for more hours across a month. Duration of internship negotiable, but we are seeking a minimum of three (3) months commitment, preferably more.
The Disability History Association is an international, nonprofit organization dedicated to the historical study and teaching of disability across all time periods and contexts. The DHA offers its members a community of active and interesting historians building a vibrant field of study. Members also enjoy access to our resources page, which includes our newsletters, conference information, and sample syllabi.
- Assistance with updating our website and making it accessible to all types of users
- Creating, updating and monitoring Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Assistance with a longer-term social media plan
- Ongoing collection and posting of syllabi on our website
- Advertising our presence at various conference
- Previous experience in the areas of journalism, marketing, communications, public relations, or a related field
- Computer skills to perform website updates, post new material and create graphics and new links
- Interest in or knowledge of disability studies or disability history
- Proficient English-language writing skills
To apply, please send a brief letter of approximately 200-400 words explaining your related skills for this internship. Please also include what goals you have for the internship and how this work fits into your career pursuits, personal interests or volunteer service. A resume or list of relevant work/internship/academic experience should be included as well. We encourage you to provide the name and contact information for at least one reference (someone who is familiar with you and your work).
Please send this letter to Sandy Sufian, President, DHA at email@example.com.